WHAT ARE LEGACY GIFTS?
Legacy Giving is simply another way for members and adherents to support the Ministry of the church.
A Legacy Gift, also known as a Planned Gift is a gift made from an estate, a trust, annuities, securities such as common shares of a company, real estate, insurance or accumulated financial assets, rather than regular income.
In the United Church more than 90% of Legacy Gifts are allocations made through bequests in wills. Regular giving generally comes out of a person’s regular income while a bequest comes out of assets left at death when current giving ceases. Therefore, when someone includes a gift to the Church in their will, their current giving is generally not affected. Information on these various types of gifts can be obtained from the Legacy Giving section of the United Church of Canada website.
The Legacy Gifts Fund will increase as bequests and other legacy gifts are received, and monies will be used for development and enhancement of the ministry of Grace United Church, Lloydminster, rather than for operational requirements.
Donations of real estate, securities, annuities, or as outlined in your will, can be directed to:
Grace United Church
4708- 50 Ave.
Lloydminster, AB T9V 0W4
It is recommended that you discuss your gift with your family and with your professional advisors.
LEGACY GIFTS WILL BE USED FOR DEFINED PURPOSES.
1. REACHING UP: Funds for the development & enhancement of Church ministry. For example:
Leadership courses, training, conferences
Church related camping
Educational and theological courses to enhance worship and other programs.
2 . REACHING IN: Funding for special capital projects intended to enhance the functionality of our Church.
3. REACHING OUT: Funding for community and world outreach agencies and programs whose mission and goals are aligned with Grace United Church and The United Church of Canada. Approved: Motion 2014-9, January 29, 2014
Applying for Legacy Gift Funding
APPLICANTS MUST PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION
1. Name of the applicant and the Official Standing Committee, of Central Board of Grace United Church, Lloydminster, to whom the applicant(s) reports.
2. Names of all individuals responsible for this project/event.
3. Name one contact person to report to Legacy Gifts Grants.
4. A short (2 or 3 sentence) description of the initiative and how it relates to one or more of the grant criteria.
5. A detailed timeline for the completion of the project/event.
6. A detailed budget listing all anticipated Income and expenses for the initiative.
7. Two quotes for any capital items.
8. Information about any matching grant monies. Preference will be given to projects/events that have funding from other sources.
9. In the case of a grant to an individual, the Social Insurance Number of the recipient must be included.
The COMPLETED APPLICATION FORM, must be signed by an officer of the committee/group who has signing authority.
Hand deliver, mail or email the completed Application to:
Grace United Church, 4708 – 50 Ave.
Lloydminster. AB, T9V 0W4
Send email submissions to: email@example.com and include on the subject line: Legacy Grant Application.
Semi annual CLOSING DATES for applications are March 1 and October 1 each year.
A written approval letter may be expected within approximately 30 days.
GRANT MONEY WILL BE AWARDED AT THE DISCRETION OF THE LEGACY GIFTS COMMITTEE WHO WILL CONSIDER ALL COMPLETE GRANT APPLICATIONS. THIS DECISION IS FINAL.
REPORTS will be required to show progress for project/event at defined intervals which will be stated in the approval letter.
FINAL REPORT in writing due within 90 days of the completed event/project will include a detailed financial report. Receipts are not required to be included, but may be requested.